Wednesday, June 29, 2011

First blog.

    Hello everyone.  Here, to start off my new blog is a new painting in progress.  The subject is the Shawgate Pawnshop near the main gate of Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, SC.  I chose this building, because it has such a wonderful decorative facade.
     The shape of the building and the way in which it is painted remind me of structures I've seen in Mexico.  This particular painting will be part of my Landmarks series.  Other pictures in this series include the Rosewood Dairy Bar and Angelo's on N. Main St. in Columbia.
    As you see the painting here, I am just beginning to apply color over the under painting.  The medium is oil color on a wooden panel.  I make the panels of Luan Mahogany plywood with Bass Wood supports.  I like the Luan, because it is very stable and stays flat and I use the Bass Wood for cradling, because it, also is very stable.  I first started using Bass Wood under veneer in antique repairs and have since learned to use it for painting supports.
    I like to use a premium quality oil paint as it dries slowly and allows me to work it as I need and the color quality is first rate.  Through the use of different mediums, I can achieve the surface texture and sheen that I want.
    Once the panel is built, I coat it with a neutral grey gesso and then sand it absolutely smooth.  I like the smooth surface, because it allows me to draw and paint very fine details without distortion.
    I'll be showing the progress of this painting and others as the blog progresses.  I welcome your comments and questions and would love to establish a dialogue with other artists.  Stay tuned.  Potlick

2 comments:

  1. Great painting. Nice to see your artwork again and to hear about your life. Love, your niece, Michelle

    ReplyDelete